About Me

My photo
Kevin M. Jackson, A 1994 graduate of Savannah State University with a B.S. degree in Biology and a Masters degree in Urban Education from Norfolk State University and a Masters of Divinity from Liberty University. Elder Jackson is a Chaplain in the United States Navy. He worked as a Science educator for over 14 years. Mr. Jackson is the author of two books; When God Speaks and Life Lessons For My Sons. He is the father of Ephraim, Elim and Elisha and several spiritual sons. Elder Jackson is married to Nila Nash Jackson.

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Son's Validation

One evening my oldest son asked me a very interesting question. No, it was not the birds and the bees question, but it was, "Dad do I look like you?" He also said, "Will I look like you when I become a man?" I said, "Of course you look like me son and when you become a man, you will look just like your dad." My son leaped with excitement and said, "Hurray! I am going to look just like daddy when I become a man."

Now this was not just some moment of entertainment or silliness. My son was seeking validation of his identity by asking those questions. He used me as his standard to measure his manhood. I am glad that I am a father in the home but what happens to the son whose father is present, but ignores the question? What happens to the son who looks for his father, but he is not there? What happens to the child who has never seen his father?

Fathers make a BIG difference in the development of their children. I only hope more fathers will realize the difference they can make.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers